1. Does my smartphone need to be unlocked to use MobiRoam?
To use MobiRoam with a WiFi Internet connection, your phone does not need to be unlocked. However, to establish an Internet connection using a local SIM card, your phone will need to be unlocked.
2. Does the person whom I am calling need to have MobiRoam set up?
No, they don’t. Only you need to have MobiRoam set up to be able to keep your identity when travelling abroad.
3. What smartphones are supported?
iPhone (operating system iOS 7 and higher).
Android (operating system 4 and higher).
4. Do you support tablets?
The current Android app was optimised for Android smartphones but it will work on Android tablets.
5. Are there any annual fees?
6. What is your replacement policy?
The SmartBox has a 12 month warranty. If you find that the SmartBox is faulty during this warranty period, ship the box back to us at your cost and we will ship back a replacement box to you at our cost. Please check our troubleshooting guide before returning the SmartBox.
7. Are my calls and SMS texts encrypted and secure?
Calls and SMS texts between your smartphone and the Smartbox are encrypted. From the SmartBox onwards, your calls and SMS texts are transported via your home carrier’s network, no differently than using your smartphone at home.
8. How does MobiRoam work?
The MobiRoam SmartBox is a device that hosts your home SIM card so that as far as your mobile or cell service provider is concerned, you are still “at home” even when you travel abroad. That’s why the SmartBox needs to stay in your home country with your home SIM card installed.
Then when you travel and have an Internet connection, your smartphone with the MobiRoam app connects to the SmartBox. Through this connection, the MobiRoam app allows you to use your home mobile or cell service as if you were at home.
9. What is the voice call quality like?
The voice quality will depend on the quality of your Internet connection. When your MobiRoam app connects to a quality WiFi or 4G network for example, voice quality is likely to be excellent. If you connect through a 3G network, voice quality may be degraded depending on 3G network congestion.
10. What makes MobiRoam different to Skype and Viber?
You can continue to use apps like Skype and Viber to keep in touch with people that also have these same apps installed and when they are online. But when you want to communicate with people who are not online, or do not have apps like these installed, then there is no substitute for using your regular mobile or cell service to keep in touch. That’s what MobiRoam allows you to do.
11. What can I do about the small gap period between leaving my home and arriving at the airport?
To close the gap, you just need an Internet connection. Here are some smart ways of getting an Internet connection:
- You may be getting a lift to the airport from a family member or friend. Try hotspotting to their phone to get an Internet connection that way.
- Increasingly, taxi services are offering free WiFi Internet access. Use one of those taxi services.
- Use free WiFi hotspots located at most airports.
- Purchase a pre-paid SIM card that has Internet data included from a supermarket, post office, or a phone retail outlet. When in your home country, as soon as you leave your home or as soon as you land back in your home country, place your pre-paid SIM card into your smartphone to get an Internet connection.
- When you arrive abroad, pick up a SIM card local for that country that has Internet data included at the airport or other outlets. Alternatively, try sticking to WiFi hotspots.
12. What if I experience issues while abroad?
Check that you have a quality Internet connection. If the Internet connection is very poor, your MobiRoam service may be affected.
If you cannot get a quality Internet connection, use your local SIM card to make calls and exchange SMS text messages. But remember, your identity will be lost until you have a quality Internet connection again.
13. Can I test to see if everything is working before I leave for my trip?
Once you setup your SmartBox at home, use your smartphone to connect to your home WiFi network. Now try making a call and sending a SMS text message using the MobiRoam app. Get someone to call you and send you a SMS text message. If you can do all this at home, you should be able to do all this anywhere you have Internet access.
14. Will I receive SMS text messages through my normal home mobile number?
Yes. You can send and receive your SMS text messages through the MobiRoam app and retain your normal number.
15. In which countries does MobiRoam work?
MobiRoam will work in any location where you can establish an Internet connection.
16. Do I have to use special prefixes when I use MobiRoam while abroad?
Just use the MobiRoam app and your normal contact list to make and receive calls and send and receive SMS text messages.
17. Can I get voicemail?
Using the MobiRoam app, just call into your normal voice mailbox number to listen to your voice mail.
18. What SIM card formats are supported
Full size, Micro and Nano SIM cards are supported.
19. I forgot my MobiRoam password. What can I do?
Open the MobiRoam app and click the “Forgot your password?” link. Follow the steps presented to get a new password using your email address.
20. Can I use MobiRoam even when I don’t have WiFi access?
You can use MobiRoam whenever you have Internet access, including with a 3G/4G data service using a local SIM card.
21. How can I use the “call divert” feature?
You may want to divert all incoming calls to another phone number, for example, to the phone number of your local SIM card. That way, you can receive calls even if you do not have Internet access and cannot access the MobiRoam service.
To use this feature, use the MobiRoam app to set the call divert number on your home network service. But remember, your home mobile or cell service provider may charge you extra for each call that you divert.